Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Smoking man zapped by lightning

ORLANDO, Fla. (UPI) -- A Florida man said it felt like he "stuck a fork in an outlet" when lightning struck him while he was holding a cigarette out the window of an apartment.

Adam Rice said he was listening to music and watching TV in an apartment in Orange County, Fla., when lightning zapped him on the hand Wednesday, WKMG-TV, Orlando, Fla., reported.

"All of sudden it sounded like fireworks go off, just loud pops, like, constantly. The whole house lit up blue and I got zapped on my hand," he said.

Rice said he could feel the electricity leave through his feet after it went through his body.

The lightning strike caused nearby brush to burst into flames, WKMG said.

"I called the fire department and I (said), 'I just got struck by lightning and the woods are on fire.' Next thing I know my body felt like I stuck a fork in an outlet," he told reporters.

Rice said his foot burns a little but he decided not to go to the doctor.




Copyright 2008 by United Press International

No comments: