Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Playing Meaner

Lately I've noticed that my poker playing is getting more aggressive. This is not always a good thing but occasionally it seems to work just fine. I refuse to be bullied out of hands simply because some idiot made a large bet, bluffing.
What amazes me about a bluffer is that after all the cards are on the table and I have re-raised his bet thinking I have the best hand (and I do), why in the heck do they call that re-raise showing all the people at the table that they had nothing to bet on? Makes absolutely no sense to me. If I'm bluffing and I get a re-raise like that I fold that hand so no one can see that I was full of baloney. I'd rather they think I was too chicken to call and waste more chips.
Playing aggressively does seem to have a major drawback for me. I need to learn to leave my anger emotion away from the table. I have made bad calls out of anger and lost more than it is worth. I need to constantly remind myself that there will always be other hands to play and that, sooner or later, if I am patient I will get the dork that keeps going all in right after the flop or even pre-flop.
Poker is, for me, an ongoing learning process.

No comments: