Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Old Age

Watching some of the people on Facebook vent their politics can be humorous. They all are young and idealistic and they make me laugh. Most of them will stick with their ideals for a few years then drop them like a bad habit once they hit the real world of family raising and work and good things like that.
I am old, some days I am very, very old. I still follow the same convictions i did in my youth. I was a hippie then and I am a hippie today. I watched the hippies shun money and power in the sixties then watched in horror as most of them went from hippies to Yuppies, chasing the Almighty Dollar they swore they hated and driving themselves around in BMWs. What happened to these people?
I grew up poor and now that I am old I am still poor. In the years in between I managed to spend forty years working, never getting rich nor ever caring if I did. Sure, I'd daydream about winning the lottery like everyone else. But, I never won and it didn't concern me.
I raised five stepchildren along with two wives and we always managed to survive on my salary and my wife's salary. We didn't live high on the hog but we did okay. The kids had food and clothing and shelter and schooling so all went well there.
I am sixty one years old and poor as can be. I do not chase after the Almighty Dollar but I don't pass one up if I see it either, like when I write blog posts for others on here. It isn't a lot of money but any extra money is always a good thing, even for an old hippie like me.
The older and sicker I get it seems like the more I think about being mortal. If there is one thing I can take to the grave with me it is the satisfaction that I lived my life on my terms as much as possible and no one else could force me to change. Sure, I paid attention to whatever my bosses told me to do, I wasn't stupid lol But, all things considered I am the same person at sixty one that I was at eighteen.
Set your priorities in order, follow them with all your heart and gusto and the end result will be that you get old and find that you are happy.

No comments: