Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Good And Not So Good

I am discovering more and more as I play what the pros talk about. The cards can, indeed, be running hot for a player and then suddenly freeze you out. And it can all happen in the same tournament.
I'm playing and my pockets are all great cards, Aces and Kings or pocket Jacks. I'm winning great pots and looking good to make the final table and grab some cash. Then, as the blinds increase higher and higher, the pockets get smaller and smaller, twos and sixes and they are unconnected and unsuited and all I am doing is bleeding away my chips wondering if I will even make it to the cash out level and earn a dollar. It's very frustrating.
But, I try to play each hand as best I can no matter what the cards. Sometimes you can get lucky and those low cards show up on the flop, sometimes all you can do is check and if someone bets fold and hope for better cards in the next hand.
Sometimes even good cards can do you in. I have a low stack and get pocket jacks. I go all in hoping that the hand will hold. I'm called by pocket queens and know I am doomed. The flop is all low cards and I am out. In the next tourney I get pocket queens and the flop is all low. I push and get called and re-raised. I go all in feeling confident. The cards are shown and my opponent has pocket jacks. I'm grinning. The turn card is a seven. I'm feeling great. The river card is a jack and I am out! I stare at the screen in disbelief!
I had to laugh after the initial shock wore off. Poker is a strange game and, in spite of what all the pros will tell you, is still a game of luck. There's no way to tell what the next card is going to be, period. Yes, you will see many of the same pros at many final tables and they will say it has nothing to do with luck, but I think they are full of baloney. They are very, very lucky players.
Patience is still the major key to success in poker and the pros generally have lots of that. They need it as their tournaments last for days not hours. In an online tourney you do need to be patient but sometimes you just have to shove and hope.

I am having fun and have met some really nice people from around the globe. And, more importantly, I am learning to have more patience. Now that I am older I find that I am much more impatient with everything than I used to be. Sad to say but I have become my mother in that regard. the world moves to slowly, the computer isn't fast enough to suit me, things like that. I need to learn to be a patient person again.

No comments: