Monday, July 5, 2010

New People

In the past month on the site where I am a chat mederator I have found myself working with two new mods. Both of them are similar in that they are nervous and they both want to make sure that they do the job correctly, which is understandable.
When I became a mod I just went into the chat areas flying by the seat of my pants. I figured that if I did something wrong the boss would catch it in the chat and let me know the next day. Not these two.
The first one has been doing the job a couple of weeks now and is still nervous. He is wound up tighter than a drum. Everything he does is based on the principle that the boss might scream at him. He wants to do everything perfectly which often makes it funny to watch but usually just annoys me. I've seen him boot players out of the lobby without warning for trivial things. I've tried to get him to loosen up but he is wound too tight lol.
Last night we got the other new guy, a player who has been on the site a lot longer than I have. He knows the site well, knows the rules and all and should be fine. But, he had the first day jitters. A few times he asked me on Skype if he had handled something correctly, did he do well, etc. I assured him that he did just fine and that seemed to help him with his nerves. I truly do want this guy to succeed as I and another mod went to bat for him with the boss. She had some reservations about him as he had gotten into some hot water in the past. We assured her that he is a different man these days so she took our word for it. He is on a thirty day trial period though.
Hopefully everything will settle down quickly and the mods can all get back into their usual routines and only do a three hour shift per day instead of five, six, or even more.

No comments: