Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Long Game

Yesterday afternoon I popped in to the game lobby for a few minutes to see what was going on with the chat. I was not planning on playing just a fast look and gone. All the chat was about the big game to celebrate five years of nopay and how they were all looking forward to trying to get a large piece of the prizepool which was $2500. I could understand their wishes.
I looked at the game and saw that the starting stack of chips was ten thousand and players could add up to fifty thousand more. This made me chuckle, that's a lot of chips to play with!
Then I thought, just for a lark i would join that game and not add any extra chips, give myself a little exercise in how far could I go without that extra edge. I started off poorly, lost almost all of my chips on 2 pair against their straight. I was looking at the door there with only 2500 chips left at a table where everyone else had humungous amounts of chips.Then something wonderful happened.
The site crashed! Support had to reboot the servers and when they did that the game sort of started over. Instead of the 300-600 chip blinds, things went back to 30-60. I could actually afford to play a few more hands! And, I made the best of that advantage, doubling up three or four times and starting to get a normal looking stack again.
Four hours and fifteen minutes or so later I left the game. I left in sixth place out of 374 players that started and was rewarded with $1000 for the game and $100 for a player that I took out earning their bounty.
It was a lot of fun but was way too long of a game. The other bummer is that that is not real dollars, I could use a thousand dollars in my wallet any day of the year.

No comments: