Thursday, June 25, 2009

Getting Old

Getting old is a real pain, both literally and figuratively. Yesterday was my daughter's 18th birthday. Instead of going out to dinner, as is our custom, we ordered pizza.
We would have gone out but the old guy in the house didn't feel like going out. Hell, I didn't feel like doing anything, really. I went out shopping two days earlier, to get her gift, and that was more than enough exercise for my body. I am, to put it mildly, a shell of my former self. And, it bugs me.
I used to have tons of energy. I worked long, hard hours and still could pull overtime. These days I feel lucky to get out of bed. I have grown too tired, too lazy and too pained. I realize fully just how damned old I have become because my body lets me know it every single day.
While I feel sorry for myself, I feel sorrier for my loved ones living with me. My daughter took it very well yesterday, but it just makes me angry with myself that she should have to "take it". Shelly takes it well too, maybe because she loves me so very much, maybe because she has resigned herself to the fact that I never seem to want to go anywhere. Either way, it is sad.
I need to find a way to get out of this stay at home rut I find myself mired in. I need to start walking, even if it is just a block away from home and back. I need to do this for them, that's for sure, but I need to do it for myself even more.

No comments: