Sunday, June 7, 2009

Honesty Is A Good Thing

My daughter, a recent high school graduate, is taking on the job market and real life. She tries to look her best, even when she is just trying to pick up applications, something that makes me smile. Years ago, as a manager of a convenience store, I was often embarrassed by some of the people that came into my store looking for an application. They were not dressed to impress anyone, they were dressed to hang out with their friends and maybe have a few beers. Not a good way to get a job! So, it pleases me that my daughter, on her own, has decided that the best way to go about this job hunting is to always try to impress.
Last evening, after bathing, she came out into the living room and immediately I noticed that she was wearing some green eye shadow. I said nothing, as she and I have not had the most pleasant of words in the past when she wore make-up. My problem is that she often wears too much, and it is not a pleasant look.
Imagine my surprise when, a few minutes later, she came back into the living room, knelt down in front of the chair I was sitting in and asked for my opinion of the eye shadow. Her reasoning being that "you won't lie to me".
It actually looked very lovely on her, it went well with her natural skin color and all and I told her so. She showed me the sampler that she had bought with blues and greens and a purplish eye shadow. I told her, honestly, that I think they should all look good on her. This, of course, made her pretty happy knowing that she had made a good choice, all on her own without any help from Mom or a salesperson.
Looks like my child is growing up :)

No comments: