Monday, May 2, 2011

What A Day

I had to go to the check cashing place today to cash my retirement check and get a money order so I can pay the rent. No big deal, nothing out of the ordinary, or so I thought.
I called a cab driver who had given me his card last month and he said it would be about 45 minutes before he could come and pick me up. I agreed, no biggie. Thirty minutes or so later I went outside to wait since it was a nice, warm, sunny day. And I waited, and then I waited some more. Ugh. An hour after the first call I called him again and he apologized, said he was still waiting on a customer and he would come pick me up pretty soon.
Ninety minutes after the first call I was still waiting. He called and apologized again, said he'd be there in five minutes. About that time I saw a cab coming down my street so I hailed it but it was the wrong cab. Damn! He told me he had just seen my cab driver getting gas so I thanked him and went back to the side of the road to wait.
A minute later I saw another cab turning the corner and I thought, hooray he is finally here. Then I saw a guy jumping into the cab and I was thinking Oh, no you don't! I went out into the street so that the cab driver could see me and he stopped and just said hop in, which I did. I didn't want to wait any longer!
The guy that had jumped in down by the corner store was going way across town. Ugh. But, we took him home first then took me to the check cashing place. Jerry, the driver was so sorry for the delay.
He told me it took forever to get to me because the other customer was a woman that was ordering a cake and made him wait for her. She took an hour in that shop doing whatever it is they did for that cake. Jerry was so apologetic that I had waited so long and all the BS that he only charged me for one way passage, from the check cashing place back to my house. That was very nice :)
But, what a day! I feel sorry for myself having to wait so long but I feel sorry for Jerry too, things like today can really ruin customer relationships.

No comments: