Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bigger Is Better

As my readers should all know by now, I have a new laptop computer. I like it because it affords me the pleasure of sitting in my overstuffed chair in the living room when my back and butt get tired of the office chair I normally am sitting in. It's a nice laptop and it has a nice sized hard drive inside it.
I also like using Ubuntu as my operating system rather than Windows XP. However after installing it on my laptop I can see now why people that use a dual-boot system on one hard drive need a bigger drive.
The hard drive on the laptop is a 40 Gig drive which should be more than enough space for a portable computer. However, when I installed my Ubuntu operating system onto the laptop along with the XP that was already there, the amount of free space left little to download and save much. Between two operating systems, if I wanted to actually save anything like music or pictures or videos, I would definitely need a hard drive twice the size, at least 80 Gigs. Since that isn't going to happen, it was good-bye Ubuntu.
I'm sure I will survive with Windows XP although I wish I didn't have to. Some things I use on a daily basis require Windows to run so those are the things I will be using most on my laptop.

No comments: