Monday, March 14, 2011

Point Of Care

Having been in the hospital twice this Winter I, unfortunately, got to see a lot of medical people as well as a lot of medical equipment. These people came to my bedside frequently with various pieces of equipment to check out my vital body parts and organs. And, almost always, these people brought with them a point of care cart.
These carts carried the equipment needed to perform the task and were usually adjustable so that the technicians using the equipment can do their job easier and more efficiently, not to mention quicker. I imagine that these techs see a large number of patients each and every day and need to get in, do the task at hand, and then move on to the next patient.
I thanked them all for their time and trouble, I know I wasn't the worst case patient they were going to see that day, I was easily moved around as needed but I know that some patients were going to require more patience on the part of the technicians because the patients were in pain or traction or whatever else. And, on one occasion I actually learned something.
One of the carts brought a fancy heart monitor that, like an ultrasound, can actually take images of the heart as it pumps away. I was amazed at how fast my heart pumps blood in and out considering I have low blood pressure as a norm. If mine beats that rapidly I wonder just how quickly does a heart with high blood pressure pump? Not sure I really want to know the answer to that question.
If you are a hospital worker and need one of these point of care carts, then Howard Medical has the items that you need. From batteries to carts to computers, you need to check their products out. Not only will your work day be easier, the patients that you see will thank you for being so professional.

No comments: